Warning: file_put_contents() [function.file-put-contents]: Only 0 of 3275 bytes written, possibly out of free disk space in /home/asatru/www/15e896.php on line 41
Forum • Zobacz wątek - Landvættir in America

Landvættir in America

A place for guests who don't speak Polish
Ein Ort für Gäste die nicht sprechen Polnisch

Re: Landvættir in America

Postprzez bil » wtorek, 21 sierpnia 2012, 18:12

Szerszen napisał(a):Bil, I have another question.

You wrote:
Perhaps we don't have 'Gods' with names at all; perhaps what exist are simply 'god-roles' that are filled as necessary. Perhaps names like Þór, Wodan, and Frigg are really more like titles bestowed upon those filling the role and assuming the responsibility for various communities.

So what is the difference for you is between ask about help for Thor, Frigg... or just Jesus / St. Mary / any of the xtian saints or any name of the native indian gods/wights?
I am asking, because for me heathenry was always paganism but with believs in northern gods, not just paganism with names of the gods in proper roles - in that way wiccans "works with gods", where the name of the god is a "key to concrete power" not the name of the concrete being.

I just put up a long post re this. I agree about you statement above, ie that heathery is about northern gods but I don't think its so clear cut. But hopefully the long post clears things up.

lewwe woohl un faahr mit de Gedder,
bil
lewwe woohl un fahr mit de Gedder,
bil
bil

Postprzez bil » wtorek, 2 października 2012, 17:21

This was taken from another group. I was responding to my friend Matt's post.

Faeries, pixies, brownies, huldufolk, and the rest throughout Europe are the results of our ancestor's pre-chrisitan attitudes towards the unseen forces in our world being rolled in Christian bullshit for several centuries. Suddenly these natural forces which could be malevolent, benevolent, or ambivalent (much like people) became something else entirely - often cursed or demonic forces that delight in causing mischief and suffering , flinging curses, granting twisted wishes, or stealing children (or downright working to damn as many human souls as possible) or more rarely elevated to the status angels or saints.

Agreed.

What many don't get is that a 'wight' is little more than a 'critter,' and, as humans, we are also 'wights.' Taken from http://www.etymonline.com:

wight (n.)
O.E. wiht "living being, creature," from P.Gmc. *wekhtiz (cf. O.S. wiht "thing, demon," Du. wicht "a little child," O.H.G. wiht "thing, creature, demon," Ger. Wicht "creature, infant," O.N. vettr "thing, creature," Swed. vätte "spirit of the earth, gnome," Goth. waihts "something"). The only apparent cognate outside Gmc. is O.C.S. vešti "a thing." Not related to the Isle of Wight, which is from L. Vectis (c.150), originally Celtic, possibly meaning "place of the division."

In general, as humans we have this tendency to categorize. So, we've come up with this long list of different types of 'critter' but the real bottom-line is function. Dark-elves, light-elves, brownies, gnomes, tompten, who cares. They are all critters. They are categorized by function: those who take care of the animals in the barn, those who live in the willows by the river, that one who stays by the old oak stump, that one who stays by that rock, ad infinitum.

For whatever reason, folks like periodic tables of MUS. Look at a book like Gundarsson's Teutonic Magic and you'll find these really cool tables of what each god likes to drink, what tree he correlates with, what sacrifices are appropriate, what color he is associated with, and so on. The whole thing is BS. What is meaningful is that we behave in such a manner that respects the 'critter' of the place.

Honestly, I've grown to hate these discussions about fairies vs light-elves vs brownies vs Wichtli. How we categorize is meaningless and trite, but 'how we behave' has meaning. Put another way, one man's tompte is another man's brownie and is another's Wichtelman. It's all about function and how we as humans respond to the situation just like when we interact with others in the bar or at the mall. Categories are stupid. A better way of looking at this is the good old fashioned 'friend, acquaintance, a not-so-good friend, and a bad guy.' Only 4 categories and be done with it. I think we need to simply dispense with all the 'tables of correspondences' that some have apparently memorized and go back to a case-by-case basis like we do everyday.

Understanding how ancient peoples interacted with these critters is really a 'study of human behavior' more so than a 'lesson in classification.' In my thinking, being a heathen is more about how I behave in any given situation than how cool it is that I memorized the complete table of correspondences from Gundarsson's or Aswyn's books.

There was a time when I thought these stupid tables kind of cool. Looking back, I think it akin to playing solitaire -- a pleasant waste of time. For me it's better to learn how to behave oneself as a heathen whether one is dealing with wights in the bar on Monday night or on top of the Brocken at midnight.

bloos meine Gdanke driwwer,
lewe woohl un faahr mit de Gedder,
bil

[Broken links fixed. KozioU]
lewwe woohl un fahr mit de Gedder,
bil
bil

Postprzez Odinson » środa, 3 października 2012, 08:27

@]:D Good words of wisdom Bill.
Odinson

Postprzez KozioU » środa, 3 października 2012, 10:55

Well said Bill!

I also started with "I've read 1000 books, I know Havamal by heart, I can almost read in old Norse" approach, but after few years heathenry is something I just do, not something I study to brag about it. Of course knowledge of the lore is essential and I still read a lot, but it's only a way to know more about my ancestry, not a science domain I need to explore and graduate.
A furore Normanorum libera nos, O Domine!
KozioU

Poprzednia strona

Powrót do International corner